Oops, I may have gone too far with my alliteration. But yes, after much frustration, it’s time for the reveal of my snazzy website remodel.
Now let’s be frank here, I know my way around a computer, but trying to get a website to do what I imagine in my head is a far different thing than what it wants to do. However, I should be used to things not obeying since I am owned by four cats. Let’s just say there was a lot of this going on last week…
In my mind, I imagined a sleek looking home page with a scroll-y thing that slowly revealed a few pages from my website and that had a nice clear spot to entice readers onto my mailing list.
Easier said than done. Most WordPress themes that came with a “call-to-action” button on the home page, didn’t scroll, and those that did scroll (I was really keen on the Lodestar theme) didn’t have the button.
There may have been a bit of this going on at this stage….
As an example of how far gone my brain was at this time, it took me several hours of frustration and trying to trick WordPress into recognizing some coding (didn’t work) to realize I could just create my own freaking button by making my own image and have the image linked to my mailing list sign-up page.
Seriously, it was THAT kind of day.
Anyway, I won’t bore you with all the trials and tribulations of the world’s longest two days, but suffice it to say that besides a whole new, very modern look, the blog and website have some lovely new features, including…
- That snazzy scrolling home page
- A pared down (easier-to-navigate) menu
- A page dedicated to each of my two series, The Osteria Chronicles and Domna, with easier to find store links
- My books/series are also listed on a single page to make it simple to see my back catalog
- A tidier contact page and widget sidebar on the blog
- A more thorough About Me page (Finn’s About Me page also got a small update)
- And a teensy tiny donation button for anyone who has pirated my books and is feeling guilty about that (or if some remarkably generous millionaire stops by my site).
After a couple days of realizing why I don’t keep hammers anywhere near my computer, I finally reached this stage….
So go ahead and have a poke around to see how it works for you. I’m pretty much blind to any problems at this point, so if you see any major boo-boos, don’t hesitate to let me know!
How about you? Any remodeling in your life lately? Any computer/website woes? What do you think of the new look?
I’ll be back Saturday with a short post from Dublin. Or is it from Egypt? I’m not sure, but there are mummies involved!