Poulnabrone Fast Facts
- The rocks seen now were once an entry way to an underground tomb. Erosion has left the standing rocks and roof of the entrance exposed.
- The tomb was used for over 600 years from 3800 to 3200 BC.
- Despite this length of use, the remains of only 22 bodies were found – apparently there was a bit of exclusivity in getting into the tomb.
- Archaeologists have found evidence that the bodies had been left to decompose before the remaining bones were placed in the tomb.
- The roof stone measures 12 feet long; the support stones hold the roof 6 feet up.
* * *
TAMMIE PAINTER IS THE AUTHOR OF THE TRIALS OF HERCULES: BOOK ONE OF THE OSTERIA CHRONICLES AND AN ARTIST WHO DEDICATES HERSELF TO THE TEDIUM OF CREATING IMAGES WITH COLORED PENCILS.