This week’s travel pic proves that palaces and royal intrigue aren’t just a European thing. At the Iolani Palace in Honolulu, Hawaii, you can get a glimpse of the importance and glamor of the Hawaiian monarchy and learn about how threatened the U.S. government was by this small nation’s royal family.
Fast Facts -Iolani Palace
- Iolani Palace is the only royal residence on U.S. soil and, back in the day, was visited by many of the world’s leaders who recognized Hawaii as a sovereign state.
- The original palace was destroyed in 1874 – tropical weather and bugs left the building uninhabitable.
- The current palace was started in 1879 and completed in 1882 for $340,000 (about $8,000,000 in today’s money).
- The palace featured all the latest mod cons such as indoor plumbing, gas lighting (replaced by electric lighting five years after completion), and a telephone!
- Queen Liliʻuokalani was imprisoned in the palace for nine months in 1895 when, following an American overthrow of the monarchy, loyalists tried to reinstate her as queen.
Have you been to Iolani Palace? Have any questions about visiting this historic landmark? Send a comment my way!
* * *
TAMMIE PAINTER IS THE AUTHOR OF THE TRIALS OF HERCULES: BOOK ONE OF THE OSTERIA CHRONICLES AND AN ARTIST WHO DEDICATES HERSELF TO THE TEDIUM OF CREATING IMAGES WITH COLORED PENCILS.