Simple & Healthy Soups You Can Make Into a Meal
(Please scroll down for a sample recipe)
Whether you’re a beginner in the kitchen or old hand at the stove, Soup for You provides easy and healthy recipes for thirteen mouth-watering soups along with suggestions for how to make the soups into a meal.
After an introduction that explains how time saving homemade soup can be, the benefits of homemade soup and the tools and ingredients you’ll need, Soup for You offers step-by-step directions to make 13 fabulous soup recipes including
- Curry Lentil Soup to brighten your winter days
- Rustic and satisfying Italian White Bean Soup
- Authentic Irish Leek and Potato Soup
- Delicious and nutritious Roasted Squash Soup
- Comforting and healthy Cream of Mushroom Soup
- And many more
Each recipe features notes on how to adjust the soup to your tastes, as well as hints and tips on side dishes, breads and drinks to turn each soup into a meal.
Following the collection of soup recipes, Soup for You‘s appendix presents a selection of tasty recipes for homemade breads that will go great with a batch of your homemade soup.
Soup for You focuses on healthy recipes and encourages low sodium methods as much as possible. For maximum flexibility, all recipes start out vegetarian but include a number of options for carnivores. Written with plenty of heart and a good dose of humor, the author encourages you to stop making excuses and get cooking!
Ready to Purchase?
Shopping directly through me is a great way to save money, cut out the middleman and receive personal service. Payments are handled securely via Paypal (you may also pay with a credit card). Paperbacks are shipped within 2 business days using First Class mail. E-books are emailed within 24 hours of receiving payment. (See Policies for all details)
Additional Places to Find Your Copy of Soup for You…
- Paperback copies of Soup for You can also be purchased through Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Createspace, WritePaintCreate (my Etsy Shop)
- E-Books in a variety of formats are available at WritePaintCreate, Smashwords, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iTunes
Free recipe from Soup for You…
Potato Leek Soup
Traveling through Ireland, I ate this soup almost daily. It’s traditionally made with water, not broth and this recipe reflects that.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 leeks, trimmed, washed and sliced (see Note)
- 10 small to medium-sized Idaho (baking) potatoes, (about 3 pounds) peeled and chopped
- 6 cups water (NOT broth or other liquid)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
What to do…
- Melt the butter in your pot over medium heat and then add in the leeks. Cook the leeks for about 2 minutes or until they soften.
- Place the potatoes, salt and water in the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir occasionally to prevent anything sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Allow the vegetables to cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender.
- Remove the pot from the stove and blend the soup with your upright or immersion blender until smooth.
- Stir in the milk and parsley.
- Season with additional salt and white or black pepper to your taste.
Make it a Meal
- This is traditionally a vegetarian soup and should be made as such, but it makes an excellent first course or side dish for a quality sausage or lamb roast.
- Serve this soup with a hunk of Irish soda bread (see Appendix) or warm brown bread along with strong Dubliner cheese or high-quality butter.
- Of course, Guinness or any other stout goes perfectly with this soup.
- To clean leeks, slice them lengthwise, open up all the layers and then rinse out the dirt that accumulates in there.
- Use all the white part of the leek and about 1/2 of the green to give the soup a lovely pale green color.
- Use whole milk, half-and-half or cream in this soup. Lower fat milks will not give it the rich and creamy taste that makes this soup so delicious and satisfying.